Multifandom & Multishipper
JOAN WATSON MD SOBER COMPANION, CONSULTING DETECTIVE, BADASS EXTRAORDINAIRE.
- absolutely none of your shit.
Whatever you do, don’t read Remender’s Captain America, especially if you haven’t read any of the comics before. And here’s why:
- He fridged Sharon to just to make Steve cry. (see also: Women in Refrigerators by Gail Simone)
- Meet Jet Zola, Remenber’s OC and the most hyper-sexualized 15 year old girl in comic books
- He turned Steve’s father from a complex, broken but loving father who happened to suffer from alcoholism, into a walking stereotype – the drunk Irishman who beat his wife and couldn’t hold down a job.
- He fundamentally does not understand who Steve is as a character.
- His idea of taking the book in a “new direction” is to essentially rip off the stories Stan Lee and Ed Brubaker have alreadu told.
- His response as a comic book professional to legitimate criticism of his writing? That you should go drown yourself in hobo piss.
A longer and more detailed essay about why Remender’s Captain America run is sexist, racist and basically being the exact opposite of everything Steve Rogers stands for, can be found here: Why Rick Remender Needs to Stop.
For new fans interested in reading Captain America, stay far, far, far away from the current book. Instead I would recommend:
- Ed Brubaker’s run on Captain America (Volume 5 and Volume 6). I mean, not only would there be no CA:TWS the movie without Ed Brubaker, but the Bucky Clause would still be in effect.
- Mark Waid’s run on Captain America (Volume 1 ##445-448 and Volume 3 #1-23), plus Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty and the mini-series Captain America: Man Out of Time. No other writer gets Steve like Mark Waid does, plus his Sharon is probably the single best example of the character in her 50+ year existence.
how do people rap i cant even talk without messing it up